MGSA Fastpitch News
Check here frequently for the latest information of interest to all fastpitch players and families.
Back again for 2017 is the option of playing in a machine-pitch travel league. This is for girls with birth years of 2008 and 2009. See the 8U page for more details. There are no tryouts for 8U fastpitch.
10U and 12U Fastpitch
10U and 12U are developmental leagues, and it is our desire to maximize the playing experience for every athlete in our association. Players should be afforded the opportunity to play at a variety of positions. The Big West, of which MGSA is a member, has thriving leagues at all levels of competitive play. Teams will be formed with the primary goal of optimizing the competitive experience for every player.
14U, 16U, 18U Fastpitch
Please visit our 14U/16U/18U Fastpitch page for more information. 14/16U/18U teams are formed in the fall.
Player Age Restrictions
MGSA does not support playing up to the next age level. A player's age on January 1 of the current year determines the age classification at which that player is eligible to participate.
Players with birth years of 2004 and 2005 will play 12U Fastpitch
Players with birth years of 2006 and 2007 will play 10U Fastpitch
Players with birth years of 2008 and 2009 will play 8U Fastpitch
*Players who play within their correct age level will be given precedence over any player wishing to play up. If an age division has enough players to fulfill all roster spots, the Fastpitch Committee will not consider any players wishing to play up. We encourage families to consider the benefits of staying within the correct age group. If you do feel as though your daughter should play up to the next level, please submit a brief summary of request to email@example.com.
Articles on the benefits of keeping your child playing at her age level.
USA Hockey Magazine: The Pros and Pitfalls of Playing Up
Youthletic: The Benefits of Playing Up
Who Can Play Tonka Fastpitch?
Age levels at and below 12U are not open divisions. If your daughter attends school or lives in the Minnetonka School District, she is eligible to play for Tonka Fastpitch. A player from another community will be able to play for Tonka if she receives a waiver from her current association. This exception must be communicated and agreed upon by both associations. If all conditions are met, the player can play for Tonka, but will not be eligible to make an A team until she has completed one spring/summer season with Tonka Fastpitch.
10U/12U Fastpitch Tryouts
Our goal is to provide a tryout environment that is fair to all players and allows them to demonstrate their abilities to a group of well-qualified evaluators. Our evaluators have fastpitch experience and are vetted by the Fastpitch Committee. The tryout drills are predetermined and are intended to demonstrate specific skills for the evaluators on a point scale. If multiple tryouts are offered, The average score is used if a player chooses to attend both tryout dates.
Tryouts will follow a blind, closed door process. Nobody will be allowed in the dome except the players, evaluators, and the Fastpitch Director. Players will be assigned a number as they check in. Each player will have her own evaluation sheet, and scores will be posted to the player’s tryout number. Player names corresponding to the tryout numbers will not be provided to the team selection committee until team rosters are identified.
All tryout data is kept confidential and is not shared outside of the Fastpitch Committee. Not even the evaluators see the score sheets of other evaluators.
Tryouts are typically held in early March for the spring/summer season. All 10U/12U Fastpitch players must participate in tryouts. Prior to tryouts, MGSA hosts a free, pre-tryout clinic that will be organized similar to the actual tryouts. If for some reason your player is not able to make either of the tryout sessions, she is no longer eligible to make an A level team.
For 2017: Free Pre-tryout Clinic is March 5. Tryouts are on March 12 and 19.
Fastpitch Team Formation
10U/12U teams will ideally have rosters of 11 players. To ensure the maximum number of registered players can be placed on a team, MGSA will place a maximum of 12 players and a minimum of 10 players on a team. MGSA will make every effort to place all registered players. In the event that MGSA has no option except to limit the number of teams due to insufficient players, then team roster decisions will be based on player try-out scores, with no guarantee of placement on a team. Any player who registered AFTER the registration deadline will not be allowed to take a place of a player who registered prior to the deadline.
All 8U teams will be formed as equally as possible bsed on the following criteria:
- Friend/Coach Request
- Age (1st year / 2nd year)
- Registration Date (the earlier your register, the better the chance that your requests will be taken into consideration)
All 10U and 12U teams will be formed in the following manner:
- Ideally there will be one A team at each level based on evaluation data
- A teams will receive the top two pitchers and top two catchers in their age group
- In 10U, all other players will be sorted out to create balanced B teams
- In 12U, all other players will be sorted out in either B or possibly C teams, depending on the tryout results
- In the case of a tied score, older players win the tie
- Players have the choice to be ranked at the highest score of position they tried out for. Pitchers and catchers can choose whether to be ranked as a pitcher or a positional player. For example, if a player chose to tryout as a pitcher, but she wasn’t ranked as one of the top two pitchers, but all other scores indicate she would be placed on the A team. This decision will be documented at check-in, prior to tryouts. We encourage the player to make the decision.
- There is a predetermined list of criteria that will be used if players will be moved from team to team. Player movement is expected to be minimal and every effort will be made to retain essentially equal teams after the A team is formed. The Fastpitch Committee has to vote in order for players to be moved once teams are identified.
- The goal in forming teams is to maximize the growth of all players.
Once fastpitch teams are formed, rosters will be created on the website and an email will be sent.
All 8U/10U/12U Faspitch players will receive a uniform shirt and black socks that are included in your registration fee.
All players are expected to provide their own black pants.
· Black Softball Pants
· Fielder's Mask
o 8U: Masks are required at all positions (infield and outfield)
o 10U: Masks are required at all infield positions
o 12U: Masks are required at pitcher, 1st and 3rd base positions
· Batting Helmet with facemask and chinstrap (we request that all new batting helmets be purchased in either blue, black, white, or silver)
o Fastpitch players are required to provide their own helmet. Note that it must have a facemask stamped with approval from "NOCSAE" and also have a chinstrap to be legal in fastpitch league games and tournaments.
o RIP-IT Vision Pro featuring Blackout Technology
· Batting gloves
· Sliding Shorts (to be worn under softball pants)
· Sliding Sleeve
· Cleats (Rubber cleats for 8U, 10U, 12U)